So here I am, tomorrow I am finally at the age that I have been describing my life to be for some time now…. the middle place. Rather than drudge up the meanings of all this at the moment, let’s explore the number 40 instead. Here is a little trivia:
- The letters of the word “forty” are in alphabetical order.
- Is thought to symbolize the death with oneself and the spiritual rebirth.
- The number 40 is used 98 times in the Bible: including the days and nights Jesus was tempted, the days Moses spent on Mount Sinai, all three times, the amount of days between resurrection and ascension, and the amount of years the Jews lived in the desert.
- Represents importance in Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism and Russian folklore.
- Common 40’s: 40 hours in a work week, forty winks of sleep, 40 acres and a mule, a forty – as in a 40 oz malt liquor, 40 weeks of gestation in human pregnancy, and top 40 music charts
- Dave Matthews recorded a song called #40 – about friendship
Tables turned again / And you, my friend
You and I face each other / All time and time out
I know it’s sometimes hard / But knowing just, oh
That we will get along / ‘Til we are old and gray
And huddled up / And doubled up, we’ll sit
And laugh of times were hard
- U2 recorded a song named 40 based on Psalm 40:
I waited patiently for the Lord
He inclined and heard my cry
He lifts me up out of the pit
Out of the miry clay
- You know I love a good quote so here is a good one about turning 40:
“To hold the same views at forty as we held at twenty is to have been stupefied for a score of years, and take rank, not as a prophet, but as an unteachable brat, well birched and none the wiser.” -Robert Louis Stevenson
- My son said today that I looked like I was about to turn 30 instead of 40….so I will end with that 🙂
So, ready or not…..here…..we…..go…….